Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Silk Flower Pin

I found this beautiful silk in the remnant bin at WalMart for about $.50 for each color.  I’ve seen these silk flowers on blogs and this etsy shop. They are pretty easy to make, a tutorial for organza flowers, but basically the same process,

IMG_0469Step 1- Cut out circles of silk. Big, small, smaller, smaller.

Step 2- Burn the edges of of the silk circle. I used a candle, you don’t have to get too close, the heat from the flame will melt the edge. This will seals the edges and keeps them from fraying and it curls the edges in like a ruffly petal.  IMG_0464

 

Step 3- Layer the silk circles.

Step 4- Sew the layers together. Sewing on a bead like you would a button.  I used invisible/clear thread. Not the easiest to work with, but since I’m not a very accurate hand sewer I like how it hides my mistakes and gives a nice finish.

 Step 5- Then I flipped it over and sewed on a pin back. Could also have hot glued it on. IMG_0475

Turned out pretty good. I’d like to make a pin with a cluster of a few, or a headband with a line of them. And I’ve still got the gold silk to try out. I’d also like to make something like this tutorial. IMG_0479

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I like those flowers! When you make a headband let me know... ;) I think a cluster of them would be pretty.. haha!